Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Maintenance of Life

man fixing car
Oh, maintenance is so annoying, isn't it?
One of the bulbs in my headlights is out (and ... that's the least of what's wrong with my car, but that is what's getting fixed today). I bought a new bulb, and, optimist that I am, I really thought that I could figure out how to change the bulb on my own. And if all else failed, I'd ask my dad. Well, an hour later and minus a (probably necessary) screw, my dad and I threw our collective grimy hands in the air and gave up.
So today, I'm lugging my car over to the dealer and I hope they'll take pity on me. I'm prepared to pay, though, so that I don't have to deal with it.
I'm the same with haircuts - I hate scheduling haircuts. I dread the phone call to make the appointment. I don't like making small talk with the person cutting my hair. I prefer letting my hair grow and grow and get all unhealthy, rather than just getting it cut.
Maintenance stresses me out.
I'm hoping that this issue doesn't fall over into my spiritual life, although I suspect it does. What kinds of maintenance do we need to do on our souls? Our hearts? What is our general upkeep, or our tune-ups? Sure, reading the Bible and praying are the easy things: like filling up a car with gas or brushing my hair. But what are those things that I need to focus on every few months to improve my relationship with my Father? Hmmmm... I'll have to get back to you on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment