Friday, April 1, 2011

Lent, Revisited (Unfortunately)

I've been avoiding this.

I know I said I'd write a poem a day for forty days for Lent ... and that I'd write about my progress during Lent ...

But the thing is (and this always happens with me and Lent!)

        I totally forgot.

I wrote three poems. I wrote one the day I wrote the blog and then kept the momentum up for the next two days. And then the week later, I was like, "LENT?! I forgot!!"
and I told myself I'd get back to it, but before I could even touch pen to paper (or finger to keyboard, as the case may be), I forgot once again.

Also, this forgetfulness is really starting to grate on me. I'm for real praying about it because it's getting in the way of my actual life at this point.
Anyway: the poetry thing is done, gone. But it's cool because I actually have written a few poems during this time without remembering I was supposed to be doing it.
Last night, I wrote a fun poem that kind of touches on Cupid and Psyche because I've been obsessed lately. Years ago, I saw Antonio Canova's intricate and breathtaking sculpture at the Louvre: Psyche Revived by Cupid's Kiss. Then, just last week when Jennie and I were in Nashville, we saw a mini-copy of the sculpture in the Belmont Mansion, and it revived my heart.
I also tried to sketch it last night, which is totally a different story. I write, I create and I can even make cute/fun illustrations for my niece and nephew's stories, but ... sketching is ... Well, maybe I'll just call it practice.
So the update is: I forgot, and I'm throwing in the towel. But poetry will be written, it just will have nothing to do with my Lenten activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment