Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Writing Class

I can't believe it, but I'm actually keeping on top of my New Year's resolutions, plentiful as they may be. Last night was my first Fiction Writing class, and it was ... intriguing. There are only eight of us in the class, and it will be interesting to see how everything unfolds. The professor already gave us some great tips on establishing a process and staying focused when we write.
He said that when we start studying characters, he'll take us to the mall to find "characters" but I gotta tell you, there are some characters in that room. We range in age from 16 to 50-ish, and it's a decent mix of men and women. There were some crazy conversations already in last night's class and I know it's just going to continue. Good fodder, definitely.
I'm hoping to produce a good short story by the end of this class, because in our final session we share some of our writing with everyone. This is a little stressful to me. But it's good to practice critiquing and that's the whole point of me taking this class - get more comfortable with my writing and improve. Looking forward to seeing what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment