Monday, December 14, 2009

12 days of Christmas: Day 1


So the 12 days of Christmas "Bake-Fest" begins. I plan to bake something every night for the 12 days prior to Christmas.

Day 1: PoppySeed Torte

This is my Grandma's recipe, and when I asked my dad what he wanted me to bake for the Holidays he said, "POPPYSEED TORTE!"
So for his birthday I baked him Poppyseed Torte. I have never made this before so I wasn't sure how it would turn out.

CRUST:
1 cup Graham Crackers
1 cup flour
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Instructions: Mix well and pat into a 9X13 pan. Bake at 325 F for 20 minutes (until brown)

FILLING:
1 1/2 cup milk (use 1/2 cup to mix with cornstarch)
5 eggs (separated)
1/4 cup poppyseeds
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp. cornstarch

Instructions: Combine milk,beaten egg yolks and sugar. Cook in double oiler until dissolved. Add poppyseeds and salt.
Mix Cornstarch with 1/2 cup milk and combine with the rest. Cook until thick, stirring constantly.

ADDITIONAL FOLD IN:
2 Tbsp knox gelatin (unflavored)
1/4 cup cold water
5 egg whites
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar

Instructions: Melt gelatin into 1/4 cup cold water. Add to cooked mixture; cool filling and add vanilla--DO NOT LET SET.
Beat egg whites--add sugar and cream of tartar
Fold into cooled mixture. Pour into crust and refrigerate.
Frost with 8 oz. Cool whip

I after cutting the torte--we realized the poppyseeds had floated to the top. I had never eaten Poppyseed Torte before--but I was consoled by my Father and Grandmother that it tasted the same. We tried to figure out what could have made them float. It still tasted delicious!



Dad enjoying his Poppyseed Torte!

No comments:

Post a Comment