Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Resolutions take a lot of Resolve

Soccer ball entering the net
We are at that point in the year when everyone is talking about their New Year's resolutions, so I'm just going to go ahead and jump on the bandwagon. I've read some blogs with great advice on making and keeping resolutions, so here's my two cents: Set your goals. Don't listen to those who say you can't do it. DO IT.
I wrote down my resolutions (there are a lot of them - I'm already breaking the rules of setting only a few goals), and I keep one copy in my wallet and one copy hanging in my cubicle. Some of my resolutions are specific (Run another half marathon this year in less time than last year), and some are very vague (Read the Bible). This is a balance that I know I need. Some are things I planned on doing anyway (Read Fearless with my friends), and some are things I have never done before (Take a writing class or attend a conference).
One of my resolutions is to do things outside of my comfort zone, which is probably going to be the hardest resolution for me to keep. I really like to give myself excuses and let myself off the hook when it comes to this. But, I know that some of the best life experiences come from putting yourself "out there", so I'm moving ahead with it.
The great thing about a new year is that we have so much to look forward to in the coming 12 months. We have no idea what the future holds; anything is possible. That's why I let myself break rules when it comes to making resolutions - I really believe I can do all of these things in the next year. And the worst thing that could happen is that I don't. So what? I'll have a great year trying!

2 comments:

  1. can't wait to hear what comes from your writing class. I took an online class years ago. I do have some goals for this year and I have been meditating on what word will be my theme. The word that keeps coming to me is Expand. Hmmm. Looking forward to how that will manifest this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never thought of having a word for a theme - that's such a great idea! I really love this time of year - looking ahead with so many possibilities. It's going to be a great year.

    ReplyDelete