Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Quoth the Raven: Nevermore

Mystery Scene
Ever have one of those days? Just bleak and dreary? I am having just such a day. It's gorgeous out, the sun is shining, but my heart is weary and heavy. There's not even necessarily a reason for it.
Anyway, it brings to mind one of my favorite poets, a Mr. Edgar Allan Poe. When I was in eighth grade, we had to memorize the opening paragraph of The Raven:
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore--
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
"'Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door--
Only this, and nothing more.
So creepy! I love this poem, and his others. I love Annabel Lee. I love The Bells. Man, I just love his rhythm and rhyme. Anyway, next time you have a dreary day, read The Raven, and think about how much worse your day could be: you could be hunted by a Raven.

No comments:

Post a Comment