Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Feminine/Masculine

We really missed the boat in the English language, as far as I'm concerned...
When I was learning French in high school, the nouns are either feminine or masculine words, and you need to know which one, so that you know whether to use "la" or "le" before them (la is for feminine nouns, le is for masculine). So "the cat" is: le chat (masculine), and "the house" is la maison (feminine). Interesting, huh?

Well, we don't do that in English, which makes the language a little less tedious to learn, but we're missing out on something.
Even though we don't have words designated as masculine or feminine, they still have that feel, you know?
For example, I'm trying to come up with a name for an event dealing with water and life and God and hope, etc. So I thought of the saying "Hope springs eternal" and playing with that. But really: Hope and Springs and Eternal really feel feminine to me. So I don't really want to use an event title that will make people think, "Oh, is that like Lilith Fair?"
I'd rather have a gender-neutral or even masculine feel to the event title. (I don't know why! I also always prefer to make my main characters in stories male -- I guess I have weird issues!)
So Water and Life feel gender-neutral. Drops can be feminine but not too feminine... Flood feels masculine (maybe because of Noah?).
Anyway, I'm working on a name for the event, and I'll try to come up with a bunch of options so that my partners-in-crime can veto as they wish. Updates will be coming!

2 comments:

  1. springs of living water.
    Deep and wide.
    Living wells.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I should ask you. You're always good at this. I was also thinking Rush of Water or Rushing Water or something. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete