Friday, January 7, 2011

A Verse for the Year

I used to be totally into celebrity gossip. I don't even know how I got into it... it's just one of those things that starts out slowly and snowballs out of control.
It could start like this:
Me: I like this song... who sings it?
Someone Else: So-and-so. Did you know he's dating (someone else famous)?
Me: No way!
.... a few weeks later ...
Someone Else: Oh, remember that singer you liked who was dating (someone else famous?)
Me: YEAH?

Someone Else: Well, they broke up because (scandal) and now he's (more scandal)
Me: WHAT?
And then I'm hooked. I'm googling the names, I'm reading articles. I'm basically trying to learn everything about these people's messed up lives.
And it's crap. Figuratively, of course, but strongly figuratively: IT IS CRAP.
It's not worth the time spent searching for information, and it's not worth the space in my head.
So years ago, I decided I was going to stop reading the gossip web sites or the "celebrity news" sites, or watch any of those "celebrity journalism" shows. (Is there real journalism any more? I feel like most of what I see on the actual news is trying to be entertainment.)
And since I get like two stations on my tv, I see even less of the crap. And thank God, I don't have MTV. What a dumpster!
Anyway, this all brings me to my point, finally:
I have chosen a passage from the Bible to focus on this year -- Philippians 4:8-9
Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies.
Basically, I'm getting rid of the crap. So I really need to try to figure out what exactly the crap is in my life (suggestions, please??). I need to see where I can improve
          my thoughts,
                           my attention,
                                    my focus.
I think it'll help me stay positive, confident and maybe even make me more intelligent! I'll keep everyone updated as the year moves along!

No comments:

Post a Comment